LATE SPRING 2011
Last Christmas a relative of my wife gave us a subscription for Oprah magazine. Now I nor my wife have ever been big Oprah fans. I have rarely even seen her show because I am usually working when it is on. For the most part the magazine is filled with ads and junk and I find the format very cluttered. However, one day while thumbing through an issue I came across an article Oprah wrote titled “What I Know For Sure.” In it she recalls a time film critic Gene Siskel asked her to, “Tell me, what you know for sure?” At the time she was thrown and did not know what to say. That event inspired her to compile a list of the top ten things she knew for sure. After reading her list, I actually found myself agreeing with Oprah and found her list quite inspiring. Here are the top ten tings Oprah and I now know:
1. What you put out comes back all the time, no matter what.
2. You define your own life. Don’t let other people write your script.
3. Whatever someone did to you in the past has no power over the present. Only you give it power.
4. When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.
5. Worrying is wasted time. Use the same energy for doing something about whatever worries you.
6. What you believe has more power than what you dream, wish, or hope for. You become what you believe.
7. If the only prayer you ever say is “thank you,” that will be enough.
8. The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you give.
9. Failure is a signpost to turn in another direction.
10. If you make a choice that goes against what everyone else thinks, the world will not fall apart.